Thursday, May 26, 2005

The cost of your savings at Walmart

One 200-person Wal-Mart store may result in a cost to federal taxpayers of $420,750 per year – about $2,103 per employee. Specifically, the low wages result in the following additional public costs being passed along to taxpayers PER STORE:

* $36,000 a year for free and reduced lunches.
* $42,000 a year for Section 8 housing assistance.
* $125,000 a year for federal tax credits and deductions for low-income families.
* $100,000 a year for the additional Title I expenses.
* $108,000 a year for the additional federal health care costs of moving into state children's health insurance programs.
* $9,750 a year for the additional costs for low income energy assistance. NO WONDER their prices are so low -- WE'RE making up the difference through our taxes!! And THEY'RE pocketing the profits!


From Seeing the Forest and Wake up Walmart

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I don't shop at Wal-Mart anymore, but I'm fortunate to live where I have a choice. Both my parents and my in-laws live in small towns where Wal-Mart is almost the only place to go.