Saturday, August 12, 2006

How You Can Spot Irrational Love


It's Saturday morning, a soaking rain is falling, so outdoor activities are no longer an option. I settle down to watch a little TV. My choice of show? It is an hour long program focusing on the last couple of legs of the Volvo Round The World Race, and I am loving it.

This race has been over for months, I know who won, who fished second and all the small stories of the race, and I still enjoy every second of the program.

The race itself is one of the worlds great sporting events. It is packed with action, drama and passion. Unfortunately, it is very difficult to cover, so it goes mostly unnoticed.

PS. The boat pictured here was lost at sea in the North Atlantic on one of the last legs, the crew was rescued.

Tags

6 comments:

Marshall Scott said...

I do understand. There's a part of me that, for all the associated risk and terror, tempts me to think about that kind of blue water sailing.

However, my wife wants me to sail only in water I'm prepared to fall into. To help with that, she has over the last couple of years bought books for me for a collection on disasters at sea. We began with The Perfect Storm, and went from there. Most recently I finished 66 Days Adrift. Mostly they're pretty good books, and they do in fact give me pause.

Anonymous said...

Lucky they were saved.

eric said...

how embarrassing to have to be saved in a race.

e+

Progressio_Veritas said...

I remember when it was the Whitbread. I got go down to Ft. Lauderdale to watch the start of the final leg of the '89 race. Seeing those boats and getting on them was amazing.

That I think was the year the Mastercard boat capsized in the South Atlantic. Everyone was rescued and it was great to know that two boats turned around to go help the capsized boat. It really is an incredibly tough race.

Now I want to go sail...

Jon said...

I have a C-22 (22 foot calalina) that I love to race, but my life has been so screwed up (free time wise) that I have not even visited it once this summer.

I hope to be able to make the winter series, but suspect that is just another fantasy.

Marshall,

My sig other also give me lots of books about what can go wrong. The last one was about the Sydney to Hobart race, Fatal Storm.

7 ships were abandoned, 5 sank, 7 men died, a real disaster.

I still think it is something to try to do, it's a weier personal flaw.

Anonymous said...

They do the same with the Ironman... they put it on the shelf for 4 months then show it on a saturday or sunday afternoon.