Thursday, March 02, 2006

Baghdad Morgue Director Flees Iraq

Mr. Bakir appears to have given information to the UN indicating that interior ministry death squads may have killed as many as 7,000 people. He has now left the country, citing death threats.

"The vast majority of bodies showed signs of summary execution - many with their hands tied behind their back. Some showed evidence of torture, with arms and leg joints broken by electric drills," said John Pace, the Maltese UN official. The killings had been happening long before the bloodshed after last week's bombing of the Shia shrine in Samarra.

Mr Pace, whose contract in Iraq ended last month, said many killings were carried out by Shia militias linked to the industry ministry run by Bayan Jabr


Mr Pace said records, supported by photographs, came from Baghdad's forensic institute, which passed them to the UN. The Baghdad morgue has been receiving 700 or more bodies a month. The figures peaked at 1,100 last July - many showing signs of torture.

And these we are allied with these people in this conflict.


No comments: