Monday, November 14, 2005

I Don't Like Paying Tax

But I do understand the fact that the services we want have to be paid for. Good schools cost money, good security cost money, good fire protection cost money, good recreation cost money. All of these factors (and many more) are added together to create the community I live in.

So, while I don't like taxes, I don't mind paying them when I can see the community benefit.

That said, at times the governmental push for taxes gets a touch out of hand.

The so-called "view tax" increased the value of his property sevenfold, from $22,900 to $162,900, a figure he believes is far more than its actual value. He expects a sharp jump in his $500 annual property taxes as well.

"I'd be happy if they assessed me $50,000 for the view," said Bischoff, chairman of the Board of Selectmen.


It would seem to me that the view from a property would already be calculated into the overall value of a property, and not worthy of a second line item. I know that in my part of the world,two identical homes, one with a good view and the other with no view would not sell for the same price. The home with the view would be worth more, the view adding to the overall value.

In this case, by adding a extra layer of tax, the government may be guilty of a classic and quite funny overreach in the hunt for extra funds. An interesting effort, but one that should be turned back.


TAGS

No comments: